The USA Water Polo Junior Olympics ("JOs") is the largest club water polo tournament in the nation. Teams come to California from all over the country to compete over a 4-day period each July. The location alternates each year between northern California (Bay Area, headquartered at Stanford) and southern California (Orange County area, headquartered at Woollett Aquatic Center in Irvine).
To compete in the Junior Olympics, teams must first earn a spot in the Qualifying Tournaments ("Quals") held in June. The dates are below. Athletes must participate in the Quals to be eligible to participate in the JOs.
Participation in JOs is not mandatory, but highly encouraged. It's the culmination of months of hard work by the athletes and coaches, and it's an amazing and exciting experience for the athletes (and their families!) to compete against teams from all over the country.
We work hard all year to get ready for the quals. NOW is the time for athletes and their families to make the commitment to shoot for the JOs!
- Qualifying Tournaments - Teams must place high enough in the Qualification Tournament to advance to JOs. Each athlete must participate in the Quals to be eligible to play on a JO team. Note the dates below.
Fees - there are two separate JO fees in addition to the summer season registration fee.
1. Commitment Fee: To ensure enough athletes are interested and available ("committed") to form and enter a team (minimum 10-11 players with at least one goalie), a Commitment Fee of $200 per player is due at the beginning of the summer season. This fee covers the costs for participation in the Quals; entry fees (4-5 games), coach salaries and stipends.
If a player is not selected for the team, or if there aren't enough players to field a team, the Commitment Fee will be refunded. Otherwise the fee is not refundable (i.e. if an athlete changes his/her mind, family travel plans interfere, etc). The fee is not refunded if the team does not qualify to advance to JOs because the fees collected have been used for entry fees, coach salaries and stipends.
2. Final Fee: If the team earns a spot at the Quals to advance to JOs, a Final Fee is due. This fee covers entry fees, coaches' salaries and travel costs. The fee varies and is based on the number of players on the team and the number of games to be played. The final fee ranges from $300-600 per athlete. If there are funds remaining from the Commitment Fee, it will be applied to the Final Fee.
- Gold Level Membership with USA Water Polo is required. Upgrade your child's membership by logging into his/her account. The upgrade must be completed prior to the Qualification Tournament.
- Birth Date Verification with USA Water Polo is required to confirm age eligibility. This is a once-in-a-lifetime process with a $5 fee and takes several business days to complete. This should be done at the same time the Commitment Fee is paid. This must be done prior to the Qualification Tournament to ensure your child is eligible to be placed on a roster.
- Transportation, accommodation, meals, and admission fees to the Quals and JOs are the responsibility of each family. Lamorinda Water Polo will secure a block of rooms at a hotel in the area.
- A Lamorinda team suit is required for Quals and JOs. Click here to purchase suits. Team apparel and swag for athletes and their fans here.
- Practice, Practice, PRACTICE! DON'T MISS PRACTICE!
- Lamorinda Roster Selection & Playing Time Policy
2023 Pacific Zone Qualification Tournaments
June 2-4: 10U Coed, 10U Girls, 12U Coed, 12U Girls, 12U Boys, 14U Girls, 14U Boys
June 16-18: 16U Girls, 16U Boys, 18U Girls, 18U Boys
Lamorinda-Brentwood JO Kick Off Event
2023 Junior Olympics - Orange County, CA
July 15 - 18: 12U Boys, 14U Boys, 16U Boys, 18U Boys
July 20 - 23: 10U Coed, 12U Coed, 12U Girls, 14U Girls, 16U Girls, 18U Girls
Contact us with any questions!